Vegan coconut panna cotta is a great addition to the cooking-without repertoire. After I became dairy free, I really missed panna cotta and creme brulee types of desserts. This vegan coconut panna cotta is light, warm and creamy. It does not give you that heavy feeling either. If you need to prepare the dessert in advance, this is your recipe.
I have tried using agar agar and vegeset. I do prefer vegeset as it setts really quickly, even without being in the fridge.
The nutritional highlights of this dessert is maybe not overwhelming, however the spices and the coconut milk at least assist in balancing blood sugar, supports your digestive system and improves circulation.
- Ginger is anti-inflammatory and assist in repairing body tissues (i.e join tissues in arthritis). It is used as a tool to improve circulation, more especially used to enhance febrility-circulation issues in men and women.Ginger is also useful to reduce nausea, symptoms of cold and flue.
- Nutmeg is used as a digestive aid, to increase blood circulation and to aid sleep.
- Cardamom is in the same family as turmeric and ginger and gave some anti-inflammatory properties. It is often used as an digestive and diuretic aid in traditional medicines.
- 1 can of coconut milk
- ½ ts VegeSet or 1½ tbs of agar agar flakes
- 4 tbs liquid sweetener such as honey, maple syrup or Sweet Freedom.
- ½ ts of vanilla extract
- ¼ ts ginger powder
- ¼ ts nutmeg
- ¼ cardamom
- ¼ ts salt
- ½ cup of coconut flakes roasted.
- ** extra coconut flakes for garnish
- *** passion fruit or orange for garnish
- Roast coconut flakes in a frying pan for a few minutes, make sure not to burn them.
- In a medium saucepan, mix coconut milk and all the ingredients including coconut flakes.
- Whisk mixture over low to medium heat. Bring to a simmer while whisking.
- Simmer for 5 minutes (make sure not to burn the bottom of the pan).
- Use a sieve and separate the coconut flakes form the mixture by pouring into a separate bowl.
- Divide the lump free mixture into serving bowls. Set aside for 1-2 hrs in the fridge.
- Serve it with some colourful and tasty garnish such as passion fruit, kiwi or orange.
- *** if using agar agar, the setting time will be longer.