Can lithium orotate increase GABA, improve mental health by reducing ADHD and OCD symptoms (among other disorders), and improve immune system. Lithium orotate is an essential trace mineral in the body. It isn’t an anti-psychotic drug, as many people believe. It’s actually a mineral-part of the same family of minerals that includes sodium and potassium. If not not enough lithium in the body it can affect mental health, B12 transportation and immune system. I came across this mineral when investigating why I have low B12 status. According to Dr Yasko, lithium is needed for transporting B12. I then discovered that lithium is used for treating reating manic-depressive (bi-polar) illness, autism, OCD and other mental health issues.
Overview of Lithium uses:
- Lithium is key for B12 transport. It is vital to ensure lithium levels before you supplement with B12.
- Lithium i key for balancing glutamate/GABA in the body. There are often an imbalance in people with mental disorders such as bipolar, OCD, autism, ADHD.
- Enhance gout treatment in conjunction with Vitamin C.
- It is shown to slow down profession of metal health disease such as alzheimer and parkinson
- Dr Write reports that low dose (5 mg) can be helpful in addiction and mood disorders (3 * day)- results are seen in about six weeks.
- Enhance grey matter in the brain
- Improve fibromyalgia symptoms
- Improve cluster headaches- One study examined lithium’s effects on 19 men with cluster headaches. Eight had rapid improvement-an average 85 percent reduction-in their “headache index” in just two weeks. Four individuals had both cluster headaches and psychiatric symptoms; these four had almost complete elimination of their headaches. The remaining seven had only a slight benefit (Part 2).
- Lithium can enhance immune function- as Dr Wright writes in his article ” One research group reported that lithium inhibits the reproduction of several viruses, including herpes simplex viruses (HSV 1, HSV 2), adenovirus (the “common cold” virus), cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr virus (associated with mononucleosis and many cases of chronic fatigue), and the measles virus.”
- ‘Another randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of lithium carbonate (doses ranging from 150-900 milligrams daily) demonstrated “a consistent reduction in the number of herpes episodes per month, the average duration of each episode, the total number of infection days per month, and the maximum symptom severity. In contrast, treatment with placebo resulted in an increase in three of the four severity measures.” (part 2)
Checking Lithium levels:
This can be tested in a hair mineral test or blood test. Important to monitor intake if taking higher dosage. If you would like to try supplementing lithium orotate, try 5 mg for approximately 6 weeks to see if there are any positive changes. Good idea to tell a partner /friend, as often you don’t realise your mood is changing. Monitor and chat to your healthcare provider is advisable.