This raw Kale Pesto recipe is a perfectly accompanied by crackers, pasta or courgette noodles. As I am part of a diary free household, I needed to come up with a good alternative to normal pesto. And this works brilliantly. The nuts and avocado gives the recipe the healthy fats and protein you need to balance you blood sugar; the kale and parsley gives you a load of vitamin A, C K; basil gives you potassium which every cell in the the body needs for electrolyte balance.
This recipe is super easy to make and you can serve a nutrient dense and immune boosting pesto in 10 minutes.
My little girls love this with gluten free pasta- which means I can serve and make them dinner within 10 minutes. Perfect for one of those days I have a lot of! I love it with a mackerel salad.
- 2 handful of almonds or brazil nuts (preferably soaked for 8 hrs.. if you are planning a head)
- 60 g fresh basil
- 60 g fresh kale (stems removed)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic depending on how you like it
- 6 tbs of olive oil, or other nuts oils high in omega 6
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast ( optional- if you like it more "cheesy")
- Juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak nuts for 8 hrs to activate them. Not necessary, but gives the pesto an extra boost
- Put all ingredient into a food processor. Mix.
- Taste and adjust seasoning and consistency.
- The pesto will keep in the fridge for 2 days. It usually don't last that long...