Want a fast breakfast option? I sometime struggle making a fast and healthy option when wanting to avoid starch and sugar ( commercial bread or cereal). This Quinoa Breakfast Bowel is super fast and very healthy ( …. very fast if you have some left over quinoa in the fridge). I eat it for breakfast, lunch and give it to my kids as a treat.
Tip: I keep a big batch of quinoa handy in the fridge. Takes 10-15 min to cook. It keep for five days. Remember to always rinse the quinoa before it is cooked as it has some kind of weird coating that gives the quinoa a bitter taste. So wash, cook and store… and then add to your breakfast bowel or any other salad.
Quinoa is very high in protein and also is a complete protein ( with all necessary amino acids). One cup of cooked quinoa gives about 8 g of protein. It is also gluten free.
- In the UK, daily protein need is calculated at 0.75 g per kg (body weight) for adults. This means if you are 60kg you need 45 g protein.
- Children needs more protein then adults do to their growing bodies. 1-3 year old needs approx 14.5 gram, 4-6 year old approx 20 grams.
- 2 cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- ¼ tsp. pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. cardemom
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsb ginger, fresh or ground
- ⅓ cup berries (frozen or fresh)
- ¼ cup raw almonds (chopped), or any other nut that takes your fancy
- Mix quinoa, almond milk, spices, salt and berries. Simmer for a few minutes, until porridge looking just right.
- Chop almonds
- Serve porridge in bowel, drizzle almonds, fresh berries, add more spice to your taste