Turmeric is on everyone’s lips these days as the magic antioxidant- it is claimed to reduce symptoms of may of our chronic illnesses, including heart disease and cancers. The active phytonutrient is called curcumin. Turmeric is in the same family as ginger.
Turmeric is fat-soluble, so very important to consume it with some healthy fat like coconut oil, avocado
Turmeric is traditionally used for liver and gallbladder disorders, however it is considered a wonder herb by many modern herbalists. Research shows that it stimulates cortisol receptor causing it to reduce inflammation in the body. In other words, it reduces the damage caused by stress. It is also a strong antioxidant. Curcumin is very useful against cholesterol oxidation (formation of LDL).
- immune boosting
- can be used against colds and flue
- strong antibacterial properties
- digestive aid as it stimulates bile production
- used for jaundice and other liver disorders
- enhances the right bacteria in the gut
How to use it:
- Make tea (add lemon, cinnamon, ginger, coconut oil and hot water)
- Add to baking – ad it to muffins
- Add to soups and stews- perfect in curries
- Take it in capsule form (look for curcumin)